CITY OF SANTA ROSA
CHARTER REVIEW COMMITTEE
Purpose and Authority:
The City of Santa Rosa became a Charter City in 1872. The Santa Rosa City Charter (Charter) is the governing document for the City of Santa Rosa subject to State and Federal Laws. The current Charter provided that it is to be reviewed every ten years by a committee to be appointed by the City Council (Council). The purpose of the Charter Review Committee (Committee) is to review and examine the Charter and recommend to the Council whether any amendments should be made to the Charter.
The Council will then determine whether to adopt any of the recommendations of the Committee and place any proposed amendments on the ballot. Any proposed amendments to the Charter would require a majority vote of the citizens of Santa Rosa unless the amendment contained a subject matter that by law requires a higher percentage of votes to pass. The consideration of the Committee’s report or any other actions required by the Council will be submitted for consideration by the Council through the regular Council agenda process.
The Council established the Committee on August 2, 2011 by Resolution No. 27956. The committee is comprised of three appointees from each Councilmember, for a total of 21 members. The Council has appointed the following members to the Charter Review Committee:
- Chair, Mike Senneff -- Appointed by Mayor Olivares
- Donna Jeye -- Appointed by Mayor Olivares
- Bill Arnone -- Appointed by Mayor Olivares
- Pat Fruiht -- Appointed by Council Member Sawyer
- Sharon Wright -- Appointed by Council Member Sawyer
- Doug Bosco -- Appointed by Council Member Sawyer
- Wayne Goldberg --Appointed by Council Member Gorin
- Terry Price -- Appointed by Council Member Gorin
- William Steck -- Appointed by Council Member Gorin
- Tony Alvernaz -- Appointed by Vice Mayor Ours
- Janet Condron -- Appointed by Vice Mayor Ours
- Herb Williams -- Appointed by Vice Mayor Ours
- Pamela Chanter -- Appointed by Council Member Bartley
- Patti Cisco -- Appointed by Council Member Bartley
- Curt Groninga -- Appointed by Council Member Bartley
- Sonia Taylor -- Appointed by Council Member Vas Dupre
- Ann Gray Byrd -- Appointed by Council Member Vas Dupre
- Ida Johnson -- Appointed by Council Member Vas Dupre
- Bob Andrews -- Appointed by Council Member Wysocky
- Denise Hill -- Appointed by Council Member Wysocky
- Bill Carle -- Appointed by Council Member Wysocky
The Council has requested as part of the resolution that the committee specifically review a number of subjects including, but not limited to: District Elections (discussed during last two Charter Reviews), Directly Elected Mayor (discussed during last two Charter Reviews), Public Works Competitive Bidding Process to allow Design-Build projects (briefly discussed during last Charter Review), Changes to competitive Bidding process and allow for opportunities allowed under State law, Binding Arbitration for Public Safety, Pensions, Clarification of prohibition on consecutive two year terms for successor Mayor if a Mayor does not complete the two year term, and clarification of the Role of the Community Advisory Board (CAB).
The Committee may make such additional recommendations as it determines to the Council regarding any proposed changes to the Charter.
Officers and Staffing:
The Council has designated Mike Senneff as the Chairperson for the Committee. The Chair will preside over the Committee meetings and will work with the Committee to provide leadership and direction.
The City Attorney will provide staff support to the Committee for legal advice, agenda preparation, information gathering, and arrangement for guest speakers, all to the extent permitted by staffing and budgetary limitations. The City Attorney’s Office will provide staff support for meeting notification, meeting minutes, and other clerical support as needed. All notices, agendas, and minutes will be posted to the City’s website.
The Committee will hold meetings at a time and place to be determined by the Chair in consultation with the membership. Meeting dates, times, and location will be posted on the City Website. The first meeting is scheduled for September 29, 2011 at 5:00 p.m. at the Utilities Field Operations Building, Conference Room M, located at 35 Stony Point Road.
The meeting dates for the balance of 2011 will be as follows:
The Committee will be studying important public policy matters and shall be subject to the open meetings laws pursuant to state law. Therefore, all meetings of the Charter Review Committee shall be properly noticed by posting of the agenda in accordance with the Brown Act and be open to the public with opportunity for public comment. Action minutes shall be maintained of the meetings and will be posted on this webpage when approved by the Committee.
2012 Meeting Schedule:
||April 19 - New|
||April 26 - Cancelled|
|March 10 Public Forum